Friday, October 14, 2011

2011 10 02--Six month recap by Angela


10/2/11—Six month recap by Angela



It is now October and it has been nearly 6 months since completion of the latest rowing project. Things are just starting to get back to normal physically. Weight gain and starvation mode cancelled and am now balancing out. Seems like the more I put my body through it the longer it takes.



I have been following Roz Savage rowing across the Indian Ocean and as she is near to complete her row she talks of retirement. I don’t know how many times I have talked about that same thing and I believe she will take some time off; I can’t seem to see her retiring any more than I can see myself retiring. I wish her all the best and will encourage Debs new web based re habilitation support program for those who chronically follow ocean rowers or dot watchers as they are known , you know who you are LOL. Roz retiring will leave a flood of people who have become addicted to watching Satellite tracking beacons who will be left to wonder about like zombies because this is the time they are used to routinely checking the tracking websites. I will definitely stay tuned to Roz and whatever she decides to do in the future.



My life has been a whirlwind of activities and events since getting off the boat. The Paralympics 2012 is coming up. I have not officially retired in the sport and have kept the door open and remained in the USADA drug testing program to retain eligibility just in case things changed. I though it would be great to go again if the opportunity presented, on different terms as a rower. My Paralympic experience was amazing but not personally complete. I have been continuing to train and pull amazing erg scores but I don’t have the passion to compete in the sport the way I used to. I focus more on coaching and starting programs and on developing adaptive equipment for the sport. There are a shortage of both experienced coaches and programs nationwide to provide the opportunities in the sport.



From Rowing to Throwing! I took up Track & Field because one of the coaches at the Veterans Wheelchair Games showed an interest in my throwing so I decided to give it a shot. Who knew I would be good enough to make the Paralympic team? I will have another opportunity to have the Paralympic experience I would have liked to have had in 2008. It is working out to be just that way with the Amazing support from the governing body of the sport, experienced coaches in Track and Field and the positivity of the other athletes. When I was growing up in Ohio, my participation in sports was my saving grace. The positive relationship I had with my coach, Joan Dautel, was by far the most important part of my survival and development as a person. The support, encouragement and leadership she had shown her athletes were exemplary. I cherished every moment of extra time she invested in me and as a competing athlete, have always longed for that kind of coach athlete relationship. That positive relationship is a key ingredient in every athlete’s success and development. If I never make it to London 2012, this 5 months working in Track and Field has qualified to restore and make complete, the athlete experience that I was trying to achieve. 



So the plan is 2012 Paralympics in London throwing Shot put and Javelin

And a 2013 solo rowing crossing (no motor, no sail no support boat) from California to Hawaii.

No comments:

RowofLife Journey-YouTube Video by Sageweb